Wednesday, January 12, 2011

Winter is Great for Baking!

I love baking. I love it even more in the cold winter! But as you can remember in my last post I am really working on losing a few pounds...so...I need to be smart with my baking.
I have wanted to try this recipe for Homemade Healthy Poptarts and I finally got to it yesterday. I have referenced Heavenly Homemaker Blog before and this is where I got the recipe. They turned out great! Everyone in my family likes them! I did adapt the recipe a bit. I added 3 t. sugar to the dough and sprinkled sugar on top of the poptarts before I baked them. I used my homemade strawberry jam as the filling! I got about 24 poptarts; Kept 12 out for breakfast this morning and put the rest in the freezer. We put them in the toaster on the lowest setting and they were really yummy!


I dug out my Healthy New Choices Cookbook and made this Vegetable Manicotti last night for dinner. It turned out really good. Most of us liked it real well in fact, Hallie and Micah had seconds!
I adjusted a few things in the recipe but here it is if you want to try it.

Veggie Manicotti
8 uncooked manicotti shells (I would have used whole wheat but couldn't find them)
Cook and drain.

Mix 1- 8oz. can tomato sauce with: 1/2 t. sugar, 1/2 t. basil, 1/2 t. oregano, 1/4 t. garlic powder, 1/4 t. marjoram, 1/4 t. thyme, 1/4 t. salt and dash pepper. Pour about 1/3 of this mixture in the bottom of a 9x13 baking dish sprayed with cooking spray. (These herbs are what I added. Original recipe called for a plain tomato sauce.)

In a 10 in. skillet, heat a couple teaspoons of Olive oil and heat over medium-high heat. Cook 1/2 c. shredded carrot (about 1 med), 1/2 c. zucchini, shredded (about 1 med.), 1/4 c. shredded onion, 1 clove garlic, minced, until crisp-tender. Remove from heat.
Stir in 15 oz. fat-free or low-fat ricotta cheese, 1/4 c. Parmesan cheese, 2 t. basil and 2 egg whites.

Fill shells and put in dish. Top with remaining herbed tomato sauce and 1/2 c. mozzarella cheese. Cover with foil and bake @ 350 degrees for 40-45 minutes.

I served it with a tossed salad and whole wheat bread.

Here's to healthy baking!!!

No comments: