Thursday, January 13, 2011

Snow Day with ...you guessed it... MORE BAKING!

 I love snow days! If homeschooling was having fun and doing projects all day...I would so love to have them home. Anyways, here is a look at what we did on our snow day!
The older 3 kids went outside to build forts in the snow and go sledding. It's so nice that they are the ages that they are because they can get themselves dressed for snow and go outside all by themselves. I enjoy going out with them too, just not quite as often as they do :) Plus it gave me some great one on one time with Hallie.

 
 Hallie and I decided to bake some healthy brownies! (bet you don't hear those two words together very often) At least a little healthier than some recipes. The older kids were going to come in to some warm brownies and homemade hot cocoa!
These are Mint Chocolate Chip Zucchini Brownies. Remember my Veggie Manicotti? I had some leftover zucchini...thus my brownies. 
Recipe:
1 c. flour
3/4 c. whole wheat flour
1/3 c. cocoa
1/2 t. baking soda
1/2 t. salt
Combine all this in a bowl and add: 2-3 cups shredded zucchini.





 Combine in a separate bowl:
1 egg
3/4 c. brown sugar
3/4 c. sugar
1/2 c. plain (Fat free) yogurt
1/2 c. oil (I used coconut oil)
1 t. vanilla
Stir into flour mixture and spread evenly into a lightly greased 9x13 pan. Sprinkle 1/2 c. chocolate chips or mint chocolate chips on top. Bake @350 degrees for 35-40 minutes or till center tests clean.
Mmmm.


 I love this little whisky thingy. I actually got it for Nate a few years back and put it in his stocking. He wasn't sure about it but after using it for mixing hot drinks, he was a believer!
I make homemade Hot Chocolate from a Hershey's cookbook. (Warning; this is not a healthy recipe...use sparingly :)
Perfectly Hot Chocolate
Stir 2 T. sugar (I only use 1/2 T. for the kids),  2 t. cocoa and a dash of salt in a mug. Heat 1 c. milk and pour into the mug. Whisk in the mug. Add 1/4 t. vanilla and top with marshmallows or whipped cream! This can be a dessert in and of itself!

 The cool kids with their hot cocoa.
In the afternoon, I got the kids busy with some projects. It's always neat to have the kids all working at the table together.
Luke worked on his Gift of Love from Christmas. It is a bird house he built and painted for our neighbor.

Melissa worked on some school papers and then with her Gift of Love, made some more bracelets and necklaces for friends and family.

Micah used markers to color his preschool books. Then he read them to me. I love seeing him learn!

We added some Wii Fit game challenges to our day, along with some chores, viola practice, morning bubble baths (Micah and Hallie), afternoon swim suit bubble bath(Luke and Melissa), more playing in the snow, playing with a neighborhood friend, more Wii and devotions before bed. A great day!

No comments: