Wednesday, February 29, 2012

Tilapia Recipe


Last year I wanted to start adding fish to my family's diet.After asking other Mom's what fish they serve their families, I found that tilapia was the most popular. My friend, Val, recommended the bag of frozen tilapia fillets. On the bag of fillets, it gave the suggestion of putting a tablespoon of pesto on top of each fillet and baking it. It was really good! We didn't eat a lot of it for the first few dinners, but last night, the pan was eaten clean! Some of my kids like it better than others, but at least everyone eats it!

Here's what I do with Tilapia:
  •  You can thaw it in the fridge for 4-6 hours, but I am never on the ball to think this far ahead, so I usually thaw it in a plastic bag in cool water - takes about 20 minutes. 
  • I line a baking sheet with foil, easy clean-up
  • I have 2 ways I usually fix the fish; 
    • Top each fillet with 1/2-1 T. pesto (I like the green pesto), bake
    • Top with a parmesan breading: 3/4 c. soft bread crumbs, 1/3 c. parmesan cheese, 1 t. garlic salt, 1 t. oregano - mix and pile on top of each fillet, bake
    • Other toppings to try: teriyaki marinade, Lemon pepper marinade, salsa, lemon and dill
    • A recipe I have my eye on to try is from a favorite blog, Marathon Mom. It requires marinading overnight...and we all know how good I am at thinking ahead. Someday.
  • Bake at 425 degrees for 12-15 mintes
  • I always serve brown rice or quinoa with fish, a bite of fish with pesto and rice together is so good! 
  • Because my kids still are getting used to fish, I still try to serve plenty of other sides like, homemade biscuits (another favorite recipe from Marathon Mom), fresh fruit, salad and veggie.




 I look forward to summer to try some fish on the grill! My next fish I want to try is tuna steaks. 

Any fish recipes that your family enjoys?

No comments: